In support of a more health conscious outlook…or at least an attempt at not eating salt & vinegar chips more than once a week, here is an incredibly delicious baked salmon recipe. My mother-in-law is not a red meat or pork eater, so I get to experiment with new seafood and chicken recipes when she comes to visit. Also, I tend to really like savory dishes that involve all of your senses. Food at my house growing up was always the focus of any family gathering or night of entertaining. Even now, when the whole clan gets together it usually involves a bottle of wine and many tantalizing dishes. I’m not willing to give up good taste just for low fat or low calorie. I’d rather eat less of a good thing then fill up on fake ingredients or something tasteless. I also believe you can have both and still find great recipes that don’t keep you in the kitchen all night. I want to enjoy my company as much as my food. Plus, who says you can’t eat a “fancy” meal on a weeknight? You’ll love the ease and quick prep of this dish!
Roasted Salmon with Tomatillo-Red Onion Salsa
Prep: 3 minutes, Cook: 20 minutes
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (1-inch thick)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Tomatillo-Red Onion Salsa (recipe below)
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Arrange fillets on prepared pan.
3. Combine cumin and next three ingredients. Rub spice mixture over tops of fillets. Coat fillets with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 individual plates. Spoon Tomatillo-Red Onion Salsa evenly over fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.
*Yield: 4 servings (1 fillet, 1/4 cup salsa, and 1 lemon wedge). Calories: 257
Tomatillo-Red Onion Salsa
Prep: 6 minutes
2/3 cup chopped tomatillos (3 medium)
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
*Yield: 4 servings (serving size 1/4 cup). Calories: 46