Perfect Moments

Two Shoes TuesdayI made stricter house rules this summer for the kids in hopes of keeping them from spending the next three months absently laying in front of the television, a computer screen or their phone. It was a well-thought plan, a list really, of alternatives to glowing screens. Things like being creative, reading a book, spending time with friends outside and helping out with a small household chore are but a few. So far, it has been effective for both girls, and it has allowed me time to focus on the things that get neglected during the school year. I can’t possibly be full-time teacher, chauffeur, meal-planner, event coordinator  and housekeeper from September to May. Summer is my time to re-group. Summer is my time to try new recipes or re-organize the closets. It is a great time to purge our basement and filing cabinets. These next few months help me prepare for the next school year, the next swim and gymnastics season.

However, it’s easy to get caught up in the daily tasks of life. There will always be something that needs or should get done.  Cleaning and organizing may be as much a mindless addiction for me as television and gaming is for my children. And I know, deep down, that having a perfectly cleaned and organized home is not a true reflection of our family. A clean house does not build relationships or create new memories or adventures.

hammock profileSo, between the sports camps and the vacations, between the running around to friends houses, and the chores, the most perfect moments are usually the ones completely unplanned. I am trying harder to look for those perfect moments hiding in forgotten corners of our day. Things like cuddling on the hammock with one of the kids while we both read a book or take  an afternoon nap together. When they are home, I’m trying to be diligent about putting down a broom and picking up a badminton racquet. I want them to remember music festivals and people watching rather than a long list of movies they’ve already seen. I want to fill our scrapbooks with goofy faces and unexpected giggles from days spent swimming in the lake.

nap outside in hammockAlthough I am aware that life is not perfect, I do believe that we can string together enough perfect moments to make life all the more wonderful.

“Life is not perfect. It never will be. You just have to make the very best of it, and you have to open your heart to what the world can show you; and sometimes it’s terrifying, and sometimes it’s incredibly beautiful, and I’ll take both. Thanks.”― Graham Nash

This entry was posted in My Pajama Ponderings, Writing Prompts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Perfect Moments

1. valj2750 says:

I certainly enjoyed your post. You are one busy lady. I feel your energy. Yes, summer is the time to decompress. It’s nice to stop, “smell the roses”, share moments.

Val

2. pattisj says:

A hammock–perfect! It sounds like you have a good summer plan. I like your hair.

3. Patricia says:

Great that you are finding things that are not “techie” for your kids to do. There is something wonderful about having to entertain yourself rather than be entertained. When I was a kid even boredom ended up with fun stuff happening.

• I have vivid memories of building forts on my grandmother’s front porch since she didn’t have a working tv with all of the billion channels my kids have – it was the best fun!

4. Emily, I would love to give a copy of this to EVERY parent to read! I was raised in the generation where a spotless house was to be most prized, children were to mind, and playtime was extra, after all else was done. Mom might join in once in a great while if she wasn’t busy with the cooking, yard, and housework. I can assure you that once children are grown, mothers will wish they had more days to spend reading together, swimming in lakes, and even curled up for naps! I applaud you for limiting the electronics… we are fostering a generation of chubby zombies. There is a time for everything. I think your kids are so very blessed to have you for their Mom! Thank you for sharing you wisdom at Two Shoes Tuesday today. No, it is not a perfect world, but we can still be perfectly content with all it is!

• Thank you so much Josie! I am truly enjoying participating in your wonderful prompts. I have neglected my blog for far to long, and your inspiration has been just what I needed to get moving again.

5. oldegg says:

This is a perennial problem for parents to determine how much of their children’s lives should be organised and how much left to them to improvise for themselves. Too often they will choose the soft option of TV or computer games rather that do something new and uplifting. Hopefully you can ration the bad and come up with novel and exciting ways to spend their time. Give all but essential housework a break and join the kids on an adventure.

6. Brenda says:

When all is said in done in the end, the kids will remember the hammocks and the snuggles and not really care if the house is dirty!

7. Romi says:

Thank you for sharing a powerful piece of writing, Emily. Nothing is better than the precious moments spent with our loved ones.

8. My first visit to your blog, and enjoyed your comments. I’ll be checking back! My pajama days were when I was teaching online for DeVry U, it was wonderful